To the people still on my mind:
- To the family who doesn’t show: Thank you for giving me the opportunity to see who’s really important to me. When you failed to come, they didn’t. And when they are missing and you are there… I fixate on their absence. You gave me the chance to choose a better family- one who loves me not because there is an antiquated obligation, but because they know me, and genuinely like me.
- To the family who do show up: I love you. You’ve been there at the greatest and worst moments in my life. We’ve laughed at funerals, cried on beaches, drank A LOT of tequilla and eaten even more taquitos. You know me better than anyone, projectile vomiting and all- and I could not have found a better group of people to claim me.
- To the boys who didn’t want to date me: I’m still not a huge fan of you. But I’m over it. It’s a lot more fun to hang out with people who like you.
- To the boy who poured his heart out and I didn’t sleep with: Life is funny, isn’t it? I’m sorry we drifted apart… we should still be friends. But I’m still not going to sleep with you.
- To the girl who calls me fat: Go eat a hamburger. Seriously. I’d rather carry an extra 5 pounds and be happy eating what I want, than to starve like you.
- To the boy who calls me fat: Go f**k yourself. Did you really just say that to a girl in size 4-6 jeans?
- To the IT department at work: Thanks for dealing the the other people, so I don’t have to… I couldn’t describe the power switch as many times a day as you. But know this: I already tried jiggling the cord and turning it on and off. Next flow chart step, please.
- To the men who banned real sudafed in our state: Ugg… I understand, but I hate you all the same.
- To the mentors who set me right: Thank you. I’ve never had a hard time having good people around me when I needed them, and I am so greatful you answered my questions, set me straight, and helped me grow.
- To my boss: If you understood what I did, you might understand me a little better. Also, we have the same Google.
XOXO Sarah Mae
PS- Idea blatantly stolen from Thought Catalog’s Maria Aeliya